Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Goggle Choice-Nail

I recently requested an invitation to Google Voice-mail to check it out. The concept of transcribing voicemails makes total sense & I've been wondering for a while why no one came out with it. The fact that Google has, while the major players in the mobile phone space have not speaks volumes on the state of their businesses. For the most part it does work fairly well. Google captures the actual voicemail, sends you a text of it & an e-mail (so it will be difficult to say..oh I never got the message...)

However the voice transcription technology has some kinks that need to be worked out. I notice that it particularly screws up names. I recently received a google text/mail from David Letterman...I figured he's been reading the blog & wanted me on the show (I have a great Top 10 list of how he is helping Sarah Palin sell her book by all the free PR he is giving her with his rants...seems he' upset that her daughter didn't accept his invitation to become an intern) turned out it was from someone business related. It wasn't the first wrong name or confusing message. So my advice is to listen to your messages (you access them via a google provided number) & they are fine. Now this may eat minutes...I'm guessing it does. However with texting I get a lot more of them then voicemail so I don't think it will be an issue...but if you do gets loads of voicemail...& long winded ones...unless you have a load a minutes plan this is not for you. For the time being it is FREE & so I would recommend trying it & if you are interested go to www.google.com/voice just keep in mind the text that says Halle Berry called...might be from Hal Jerr & the one from Meagan Fox may be Hagan Boxx...

No comments:

Post a Comment