Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Best of Madison Square Eats

    The Madison Square Eats Spring event started on May 6th and goes till June 3rd. It takes place in Worth Square right across from Madison Square Park and down the block from Eataly. Within this relatively small space (like the Tardis Dr. Who fans) it holds 25-plus booths comprised of primarily food stalls along with some arts and crafts vendors selling their wares. The food is represented by both restaurants and bakeries from all over Manhattan and Brooklyn.

    Now in all fairness with this many stalls and so much good stuff it would take coming here every other day with a few friends to get through it all. However, since I have been to this in the fall, and last spring along with a number of the restaurants I feel pretty good on putting together a Best of list. However, having said that, I may have as of yet missed some good stuff, so please feel free to add in comments what I'm missing out on. One other quick point, if you don't already bring a Ziploc or 2*.

    Let's start with Asia Dogs who I originally discovered at the Brooklyn Flea – they quite simply do hot dogs with awesome Asian toppings. My favorite is the Sydney, a hotdog topped with Thai mango relish (cucumber, red onion, cilantro, crushed peanuts). For my lunch I hit Calexico for their pollo verde and chipotle pork soft tacos and got some of their Chipotle Crack sauce** to give a whirl since I like it caliente. To wash down these tasty treats I went with a Hibiscus Lime Ricky from P&H soda company (They sell the syrup's as well for $11 a bottle). I'm actually not a big soda drinker (I do have a thing for high end ginger ales and root beers) but do like some of the new artisanal ones that are coming out and this take on the lime rickey was great. My conundrum now is I was going to get a bottle of the ginger syrup to make Dark and Stormy's, but the lime and hibiscus were really good – decisions....decisions.

    Eataly market put a stand out that was serving ribs and a seafood dish. I happen to love Eataly so for you naysayers who don't like it, don't go, it gets crowded enough, but for those of you in the know, check out my review.

    ilili was roasting a lamb over charcoal which looked great, but I didn't get a chance to taste (on Saturdays they start one in the morning to serve at noon and another that is ready to eat around 6 p.m.). I did however have their green lemonade which I thought was mint, but when I asked was informed that it gets its green from cucumber*** Turned out to be one of the best lemonades I've ever had. Resto had a nice selection of sandwiches that included a slight twist on a Cuban – they used pig's head (keep in mind you eat pig butt) and a braised beef. They also had a couple of beers on tap. I've been to the restaurant a number of times and their food is great.

    For treats there were a number, of the ones I've had I absolutely love Stuffed Artisan's mini cannolis. They come in a wide range of flavors. My favorites include the chocolate dipped shells stuffed with mint, coconut and dulce con leche. Momofuku Milk Bar's (David Chang's bakery) cookies are some of the best in town. My favorites are the Compost (the kitchen sink of chocolate chip cookies) and the Blueberry Cream. When the sun comes back out hit Peace Pops for their all natural fresh fruit and herb ice pops or give their shaved ice a shot.

    Well, this list should keep you busy and get you going. You can find the places I mentioned here as well as many of the ones I did not get a chance to enjoy.

*I generally carry a Ziploc or two with me always. If it rains, they are great to protect your phone, iTouch, etc. When you are hitting a fair like this let's say you get a sauce on the side. Instead of throwing it away, stick it in the Ziploc to use again.

**The Chipotle Crack (think a Ranch with some flavor) sauce is available as a side ($1) and came in a 2 oz. cup with lid (it was great so why throw it away?). In the morning it kicked up an egg white omelet (egg whites fried in a little butter topped w/chopped tomatoes, Cheddar cheese and a slice of Nueske's applewood smoked bacon)

***I put cucumbers in Mojito's replacing limes for a change of pace and to make cucumber mint water for an easy refreshing summer drink. Just muddle the cucumber and mint together, add ice and water for a healthy no-cal drink by the pool or add some simple syrup and light rum for a twist on the Mojito. Try it with the limes as well at first if you need to ease into them...
Madison Square Eats: Worth Square, 24th & 25th Sts., bet. 5th Ave. & Broadway

No comments:

Post a Comment