Monday, September 6, 2010

Eataly

One would think that the Recession is over or never happened in the first place judging by how busy Eataly was this past Saturday mid-morning. In what was the Toy Building on 5th Ave btwn 23rd & 24th is now a Temple to Italian food both imported & local. I managed to not go to crazy on my first go around & managed to keep it to under $75.00. The place is broken up into a number of food stalls, restaurants, a book store, wine store, a rooftop beer garden, & they also have classes. The place was a madhouse so I only stayed so long but picked up a number of goods. I'll share these with you to give you a feel for what's available. I started with a large cup of Lavazza Coffee to get me going (the area is decorated with cutouts from the Lavaaza calendars...high end photographers working with beautiful actresses & models...think Campari or Pirelli calendars...I'm really into photography so I loved it) I then made my way through the growing & maddening crowds & picked up the following...

A Rustico Classico bread from the bakery (all the breads looked great)...molto bene

A Cheese made w/Barolo Wine, Prosciutto de Parma, & Piccante Cotto...all molto bene as well & the Cotto is very spicy. Since these goods came from the same stall...guessing it wasn't Kosher just in case you were wondering

Heirloom Tomatoes, a LI Red Tomato & Arugula from the Produce Dept...Here's a funny story & kudos to the grocer...when he saw that I picked 3 heirloom tomatoes he came over & said I had to try the LI tomato...it's the best he has...then reached into my cart & pulled out one of the green heirlooms...put it back & sent one of his guys to weight & price the LI Red for me...I said I appreciate the heads up & will take your advice but can I have my other tomato back as well...Of note...the one he recommended was half the price of the Heirlooms...so he clearly wasn't pushing price. I've yet to try the LI Red but the green Heirlooms were AMAZING...

Cherry Tomato Arrabiata, Peeled Cherry Tomatoes in a can, & Somesortacurly pasta from the Grain & Sauce section. The pasta was very good & the spicy cherry tomato sauce was good as well....however...even though it is imported from Italy...it's not as good as the Michael's of Brooklyn I get from Whole foods & Todaro's. The imported stuff was more processed while the Michael's is chunky & looks like your Grandma made it. As a quick side note...I gave the Michael's a try a year ago when I stumbled onto it. It turns out after conversations with my Mom & some research on the web...the place is now a catering hall & restaurant but started out as a pizza place...across the street from the apartment that my parents first lived in when they had me in Brooklyn! How's that for crazy circumstances. I find the best spicy sauce in a jar & better then almost every restaurant I've been to in a Whole Foods decades later from the place my parents used to go for their Garbage Pie (for those outside NYC...it means the works...sausage, pepper, onions, meatballs, pepperoni, & mushrooms)...crazy huh? Anyway...I hedged my bet that the imported sauce would be good but not great & thus purchased imported whole peeled cherry tomatoes to make my own sauce (stay tuned for results).

Pistachio Spread - I have a sweet-tooth & I'm a chocolate-a-holic. So when I saw the chocolate spreads other then Nutella among the chocolate bars I figured I'd give one a go. I love Pistachios & have never seen the combo ...it's always Hazelnut or Almond...I'd give it a whirl. On the way home when I realized I forgot if it was dark or milk...it turned out it's neither...but just Pistachio spread which was a very pleasant surprise. I've been wondering why there is peanut, almond, hazelnut butters but not Pistachio. Have not opened it yet...but will soon enough...

     Well like I said it was busy & I tried not to go to crazy. The meat department looked good & they are working with US ranches to produce Piedmont meats, seafood dept looked good as well. There was a counter for pastries that looked great & a Gelato bar I missed as well...next time. Hopefully this gives you a good feel for what's available. I highly recommend you go.

    Now while I think this was a good start...I would like to see more of these. The best I've ever seen anywhere...by far is the Mercat de la Boqueria in Barcelona. It kills me that they have something that blows away anything we have. So...to give it some real competition since New York is such a global city we need Temples of Gastronomy to various cultures...

Asia-Pac Market - While most of these countries could have their own let's set up one big one for Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, & while we're at it some stalls from Oz & New Zealand

Mercat De la Boquria NYC - Spanish food is amazing & very diverse...it's not just Paella & Platas Brava...

La Ville-Lumière - Hey c'mon...we need to have one for the French...they do have pretty good food & wine (& woman). I would add in some stalls from neighbors Belgium & Switzerland.

Adriatic/Aegean Market - Stalls from Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Serbia, Albanian etc...Just imagine the battles over the coffee & baklava! Plus Croatia has all all sorts of great Liqueurs, Perserves, Fig Sweets, & some great cured Beef...

Mid-East Market - You...yes you that wants to build bridges between Muslims & Americans...this is how you do it...through FOOD. Food is the common denominator. We all love to eat & with a place full of stalls from Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Iran, Iraq etc...selling Oils, Honeys,Spices,Exotic flavored Sweets, prepared foods, etc...that would bring people together! This is how everyday Americans can learn about the Middle-East...through it's food. By breaking bread & sprinkling some sea-salt on our food together vs. rubbing salt in deep wounds on holy ground...hey...remember...we're talking deep thoughts here...





No comments:

Post a Comment