Friday, October 30, 2009

Fashion sense...or lack thereof...

This one is very likely going to get me in trouble...but I hope to redeem myself in the end... It is simply beyond me how many women in NYC dress sooooo poorly. I seriously just don't get it. This is one of the major fashion capitals of the world...especially for "street fashion". Now I'm not expecting everyone too have a great sense of style nor too be able to afford couture fashion...but the point is this is NYC...between all the woman who do dress well on the street, all the magazines, ads, TV, one's own fashion sense I would think that very few & far between would dress poorly. This is a city where women get dressed up to go shopping or to the gym...& yet I'm amazed at what I see sometimes.

I started noticing this big time years ago when companies started doing "business casual" Fridays. It was bad enough most guys didn't understand that meant trouser/khaki' with a button down vs acid wash jeans with a t-shirt (you know who you are) but women dressing without a clue...I couldn't believe it. I see it all the time on the street & out & about. For the record I'm not talking about outfits or styles I don't like, I'm talking about seeing a girl with a headband (my friend pointed it out) over 12...what adult woman wears a headband to keep her hair in place??? I actually thought she was wearing a costume. Then there was her friend the "Sherpa". Attractive girl wearing Uggs (hey, I live in NYC...how can I not know this stuff?!?) w/tights & a baggy hooded sweatshirt...the girl looked ridiculous. I mean seriously...you have everything from high end fashion to thrift shops to your H&M's, Top Shops, Banana Republics,Gap,A&F, etc...who knock off the current "looks" to make it a no-brainer to look good on the cheap w/o much effort. So...please explain to me how many disasters there are out there...

Now back to redeeming myself...for the most part all the girls that I'm friends with, date/dated & the wives/girlfriends of most of my friends do dress fine. Some very well & obviously spend some money & time...others not as high-end or fashionable but they look good. Their stuff matches. No one is going to go "did they dress in the dark from someone else's closet" etc... Again I just don't get it. Go to Rome, Florence, Paris, etc...& see how many poorly (illegal immigrants that they keep in ghetto's don't count) dressed women you see there. This is NYC...all women should be able to dress well if not high end. Here...I'll plug my brothers sister in laws place TAROO. She has locations in the Upper East/West & Murray Hill...go update your closet & tell them I sent you... http://www.taroonyc.com/index.php ...

No comments:

Post a Comment