Sunday, August 28, 2011

Garlic Pizza Bar: Do We Have a New Sherrif in Town?

    While making my way in the pouring rain in my neighborhood to pick up some provisions for the week, I needed some sustenance (fridge was a bit bare). I had a few of my usual places in mind till I remembered seeing a new pizza place on Second Avenue and decided to give it a whirl. While Murray Hill may not be lacking in places that provide pizza, Garlic Pizza Bar turned out to be a very welcome edition.

    I scanned up and down their long pizza bar trying to decide from among all the tasty looking choices on display before me. I decided to go healthy with a Grandma slice topped with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil followed by an almost, but not quite as healthy meat slice covered with pepperoni and very tasty ground sausage on a pie slice. What makes and breaks a good slice (in New York I take it for granted they get the crust right) is the use of good quality ingredients (fresh mozzarella and veggies, good quality meats, etc.) and their sauce. Garlic nailed their sauce. It was the first thing that hit me when I tasted the Grandma slice. It was the quality of the ground sausage versus what you usually get that really stood out on the meat slice.

    Garlic Pizza Bar has a full menu including regular, Sicilian, and Grandma (cut square, but thin and usually without cheese) pies, with 18 choices in toppings, appetizers, entrees, pastas and salads. They do have broccoli rabe on the menu (i.e. with sausage or chicken under appetizers) but it's not on the pizza toppings list. Here's hoping they will do a broccoli rabe and sausage pie.

    Garlic has a nice and immaculately clean Indoor dining area and even a little backyard/outdoor space that will work whether you go with your gal or guy, friends or family. They also have plasma screens playing sports against the back wall to check the games while grabbing a bite. This is an old school place with all your red sauce joint favorites. It tastes like it belongs in the SoHo area on the outskirts of Little Italy or in Brooklyn. Luckily for my neighbors and I it's in Murray Hill.
Garlic Pizza Bar: 629 34th St., at 2nd Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment