Monday, March 8, 2010

Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk*? Go Ask Alice...

Let me start this spoiler free review by stating that I am somewhat biased here due to me being a huge Tim Burton fan...the man quite simply is incredibly gifted & is a genius( if you have not done so...go see his show at MOMA) & I've always been a big fan of the Alice in Wonderland story...which I found out recently is actually not one...but 2 books...

Off with their heads!!! Here I'm referring to most Movie Critics...I'm not sure what is wrong with these English Lit majors from Liberal Arts schools who clearly hate themselves, their families, friends life...etc...or how else do you explain how they love unwatchable crap & tear enjoyable works to pieces with little used multi-syllable words to try & show off the depth & breath of their vocabulary since they have nothing else in their fried brains...

Now that I'm done with that little rant & rave...the movie was great...at least I, my friends & the packed IMAX theater seemed to think so...Now this isn't a pure retelling of the story. Mr. Burton does take elements from both of Carroll's books, a poem of Lewis's(hint Monty Python used it)elements of fantasy & throws it in the blender of his minds eye to come up with a highly original & enjoyable story. Depp as usual gives a great performance (actually based his characters insanity on info he & Burton dug up on how the dyes Hatters used were loaded with toxins that had a bit of an effect on masters of this trade) as does Bonham Carter as the Red Queen ...Crispen Glover as the Knave oh so creepy...& of course kudo's to Mia Wasikowska as Alice(looks like a young Katee Sackhoff of Battlestar Galactica fame...just not quite as buff). Anne Hathaway as the White Queen was fine...did have one very good scene...I absolutely loved the Cheshire Cat, the March Hare was hysterical & the Blue Caterpillar was a trip as well. This is a stunning visually stimulating movie with great acting and a great story that re-imagines a classic while paying homage to it by taking advantage of what we can do technically today. This is one of Burton's best & if you are a fan ignore the Liberal Arts geeks...Off with their heads!!! & go see Alice...when she's ten feet tall...

Why is a Raven like a Writing Desk? I didn't get it...but the answers I uncovered are below...


Carroll said that there was no answer...but did say that raven spelled backwards is nevar...thus never...but I found another answer... Poe...he wrote on both...not sure if that was Carroll's answer but someone came up with it & it does work..

No comments:

Post a Comment