Sunday, August 16, 2009

ThirdsWorld/Death by Grilled Cheese

I recently attended a play that my friend Candy (http://www.candice-myers.com/) had two starring roles in. I didn't know what to expect from the play or from her performance. It was in a small theater where you are sitting if in the back row 30 feet from the stage (I was at best 10). It's not the first time I attended a play where I was this close & I actually prefer small off Broadway productions to major shows.

I would have to think for the actors this most be very challenging & difficult. No cuts, re-takes like in a film, not even the distance the stage has normally to an audience. Just you & your fellow actors just feet away from your audience...there eyes right on you...while you need to perform. I have a slight idea what it must be like from being in Sales & having to do presentations in front of primarily small to medium groups. This taste only makes me appreciate what they have to do up on stage so much more. Now, I am a big movie buff...but so many of our actors...just..how do I say this...SUCK. Yet they get paid 6 & 7 figures to screw up their lines & do re-shoot after re-shoot & still end up with a crap product. To actually watch a troupe of actors put out such great performances live with their audience right on top of them was a pleasure.

The play was broken down into 4 separate acts

1) An aging Basketball player has just finished his last game...& tries to come to grips with how he is going to move on & give up the crowds & "benefits" of life on the road with both his coach/friend...& his Mistress...

2) A day in the life of some office workers doesn't quite do this segment justice but I don't want to ruin the twists & turns once they make this into a movie short or episode of Twilight Zone 2010...

3) A friend drops by to visit an old friend with a slight twist...they were both ex-drug addicts & one now has AIDS...

4) Trying to find the "perfect girl" just isn't easy is it...even when you can program them...just don't feed them...(first time I've ever seen a grilled cheese sandwich used as a deadly weapon) Hint to the Ladies...the way to a man's heart is truly through his stomach...

All the actors across the board did a great job so kudos to all of them...but I guess I'm somewhat biased with my friend Candy's performances (she's in 2 & 4). Primarily because most actors can do either drama or comedy but not both (actually most neither). In one play she plays a single Mother where she has to display intense grief & anger then understanding & forgiveness. In the other she plays a Fembot which required comedic timing while being sultry & mischievous. To say that she nailed both performances is an understatement. Isn't it awesome & HOT that Paris, Lindsey & all the other talentless idiots make the big bucks! ( for the record I'm a Neanderthal & subscribe to Maxim/Playboy, etc...).

Luckily there is a lot of small production theater out there...so as much as I enjoy Hot chicks in cut-offs & latex fighting robot mutant ninjas (I think I just gave my cousin an idea for a party) get out there & check out some real talent show you how it's done live...right in front of your eyes...with no safety net...

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY agree with Steve about the quality of the acting, scripting, and direction of the plays. I even told Candi afterwards that I went to support her, as I try to do for all my friends, but that I liked this production so much that I would have happily gone even if I didn't have a friend in the cast. Yeah, that is a good idea for a party, although we already have all the chicks in cut-offs and latex (well, at least spandex) at our parties. We just need some mutant ninjas.

    ReplyDelete