Saturday, August 22, 2009

St. Pat's Original...

While bouncing between two of my current favorite watering holes in Soho Nolita House & Spring St Lounge with a couple of friends we noticed that the doors were opened to the church on Mott between Spring & Prince. Said church happens to be the original St Pat's & is over 200 years old. Now I don't spend a whole lot of time in churches since for one reason I'm not a follower of Jesus Christ...even though I am a cousin of Baby Jesus's (read: a Jew) & normally when I do go in one the stained glass shakes & the holy water bubbles...but I am into art & my friend George's Mother was a Nun (long story) so I figured we would be safe...The church is amazing...it's like the churches in Europe where between the architecture & the art your religious beliefs are not necessary to appreciate their beauty...When you first walk in their is a copy of Michelangelo's Medea to your right & beautiful stained glass throughout. Why I don't see this highlighted as a NY treasure, a must see while in NY, listed on walking tours is beyond me. Not only that...it's not out of the way at all...it's right by some of the best shopping, eating, drinking, & people watching on the planet. So next time you find yourself in Soho or in NYC for that matter stop by & check out this NY landmark...

No comments:

Post a Comment