Sunday, May 1, 2011

Peter Lik: Timeless Land

This past Thursday I attended the unveiling of Peter Lik's latest work Timeless Land . Peter Lik is a world renowned multi-award winning photographer who specializes in panoramic photo's of natures beauty and wonders. His well known works include volcano's erupting off the beach in Hawaii, vistas of the Grand Canyon, Atolls off the water of Australia, and the like.

    In a way, Peter Lik is the Warhol of Photography from a business point of view. He has over a dozen galleries in the US & one in Australia. His works are owned by a number of famous people and his limited editions generally sell through rather quickly. He has done a great job of marketing his works also based on the frames he uses and the photo printing process he uses (more on that below)

    Peter Lik Fine Art Photography Gallery has been one of the galleries that I have regularly stopped in over the years. I have always loved his work and since I'm into photography I have generally used his work as inspiration for my own, but held off from getting a piece myself. That changed this past summer when my brother saw some of his work and asked me to stop by to look at them and get measurements and pricing. As luck would have it, they were unveiling a new piece called Imagine. I was drawn in by not only the fantasy of the deserted island it depicted but more so for the emotion that it invoked. You can read all about my experience at  http://hunter-funemployment.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-yeahstay-in-tonightrelaxjust-pop-by.html

   Of special note I do want to point out that many who see Peter Lik's work think that the galleries have the photo's back lit or some special lighting arrangement to make them look more spectacular then they are. For the record, that is not true whatsoever. The galleries are equipped with special viewing rooms to highlight the colors of the photo's. However what gives them their "pop" is the photo printing process used. The lighting in my apartment has much to be desired...but when I put Imagine up and started playing with my blinds I couldn't get over how much the change in light truly affected the picture.

    His latest piece Timeless Land is part of his "Arch" series (see photo above). In it he uses an incredible arch located in the South West as the framework for a canyon filled with flat-topped mesa's and snow capped mountains with a multi-hued blue sky. In all fairness while I generally prefer his ocean focused pieces this one is pretty spectacular. You can see it and many of Peter's amazing works at his gallery in Soho. Ask for Gabby and tell her I set you...


Peter Lik Fine Art Photography is located at 419 West Broadway


No comments:

Post a Comment