Sunday, August 29, 2010

Food for thought...or lack thereof in 2010...

The Fall is usually when NYC's best new restaurants open up & judging by the Fall Issues of New York & Time Out (it's amazing that Food gets a page or two, it wasn't that long ago they were over 5 pages with one page at the end to list the 50+) 2010 is likely to be one of, if not NYC's worst years for new restaurant openings. Not, too say that there haven't been any...but so few & far between. I'll list a few of good finds from this year (Fall 09 till now...check prior blogs for reviews) & the ones I read about that I'm looking forward to checking out...

The Few...The Proud...in no particular order...

Meatball Shoppe - make sure you save room for their awesome Ice Cream sandwiches
Torrisi Italian Specialties - Their Chicken Parm hero & especially their Homemade Turkey sandwich
Yuerba Buena Perry - Avocado & Watermelon fries
Peace Pops - not a restaurant but these fresh fruit & herb ice pops are one of my favorite finds of the year
Fette Sau - High end BBQ w/Asian sauces & spices... Get the Recession drink special...PBR/Whisky/Pickleback
Luke's Lobster - my favorite combo of the year... Lobster roll, Cape Cod Chips (Jalapeno) & a Maine Root Blueberry soda
Pulino - McNally's Italian cafe...better then reviewed...
Abe & Arthurs - Chairman's Pork Chop w/Cherry sauce

That's about all I can think I've been to... yes there are some high profile ones I didn't get around to going to...& I discovered plenty of new for me but been around a few years already...but know it kinda adds up as to why every time my bro & I would get together for dinner & he would ask what's new & good...instead of throwing 6 ideas at him...I would say...I know this great place for meatballs...

Now trying to be optimistic in these awesome times are a list of places I'm looking forward to checking out...

Eataly - a market...food court..restaurants...rooftop beer garden from Batali & Co
Zengo - Asian-Latin Fusion... they have a pretty good happy hour in their tequila lounge...
Artichoke Pizza is opening a restaurant by the Chelsea Market
Hurricane Club - Tiki Bar's are in...now the Tiki restaurant!
Lani Kai- More lounge bar...more Tiki...Pupu platters!
Porsena - Pasta joint from the chef behind Porchetta Sara Jenkins
Stellina - An upscale Italian ice-cream spot
B&B - Burgers & Bourbon...in Soho
Hill Country Chicken...Fried Chicken & pies in...nope not Williamsburgh...but NYC!
Donatella - Ms Arpaia does pizza
John Dory Oyster Bar - April Bloomsfield of Spotted Pig & Breslin's seafood spot in the Ace Hotel
Millesime - Seafood on 29th & Mad
Riverpark...high end seafood on 29th & 1st...not exactly destination dining...
Osteria Morini - an Italian "diner" a la Emilia-Romagna ...from the owners of Marea going downtown & downscale...

Stay tuned for reviews & new finds. In the meantime I will leave you with this...the Meatball was the craze of 2010...I'm predicting Fried Chicken is this seasons black ladies...

No comments:

Post a Comment