Sunday, November 22, 2009

I'm Number 6!

I'm a huge fan of the 60's classic Secret Agent Man starring Patrick McGoohan. It clearly was riding Bond-mania but it was it's own show & great. Then came the Prisoner. In it a British Secret Service Agent(the protagonist from SAM) resigns from the service & then finds himself in "The Village" where no one has a name...only a number. It dealt heavily with the concepts of freedom, individuality, & communism. You didn't know if it was his cold war enemies who caught him & played mind games to get info out of him or if his own service did this to him. The ending was strange...but all in all a great show & a true cult classic. For years there has been talk of a remake & I was really looking forward to one. At one point Mel Gibson was going to remake it as a feature film (before we all found out he is psychotic anti-Semitic scum). When I heard that AMC was involved with a British channel ITV & starring James Caviezel (6) & Ian McKellen (2) I was psyched. It SUCKED!!! It was a discombobulated mess that made no sense whatsoever. I enjoy thought provoking TV instead of just being fed mush to ogle...but this...sucked! Absolutely totally disappointed. They just totally got it wrong.

They changed the lead to an American who works as an analyst at corporation in NYC & spies on the privates lives of numerous people via CCTV. Why...because American Corporations are evil, just paid well for it by an evil secret client/government/pan-global cabal???Did I mention it didn't work? Is it a dream..is it not a dream, is it drug induced? Why is he in the Village, how did he get there, is he there, what did he see that the Corporation wanted suppressed, did he see anything...who cares...I really can't believe how bad it was. I lost interest from the get go...kept trying to stick with...& it was a total waste. My advice rent or find on-line the Original & enjoy it. I guess after the amazing re-boots of Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who,Star Trek, Batman, & James Bond I'm spoiled...but of all the ones to screw up why this one & why AMC...?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment